Sunday, September 4, 2016

Introductory

Greetings from my first Grade 11 English blog post!

 I would first like to introduce myself as Hala Raied Ariqat a 15 year-old Jordanian living in the UAE. I’ve been living in the UAE for all my life and this is my seventh year at Raha International School. As a student in the IB, I’ve always learnt to express myself considering important aspects such as the IB learner profile that comprises of characteristics like being knowledgeable and reflective. In my first blog post I would like to reflect on my self specifically my future goals as well as my interests and things I value most in life.

Personally, something I value the most is my time spent with my family and friends and getting to travel around the world.

I think these are things I am appreciative of because traveling allows you to gain new perspectives, as you are able to experience and become open minded towards the varieties of cultures and beliefs around the globe. Some of my favorite cities include:

1-    Milan: I think that this is one of my favorite cities because of the cities fascinating historical architectural throughout its lively streets. Not to forget the finest shopping experience that the city has to offer.

2-    London: London has to be one of my favorite cities because of the ideal breeze that you can enjoy while strolling around the streets in addition to the delighting culinary experience.

Overall I would say I am more of a city person rather than a nature person because I find it more fascinating and enjoyable to acknowledge the vast majority of things in a city.

Not to forget I find it important to spend time with my family and friends because you will be able to explore common bonds that develops building strong bonds with one another. This means that you would be able to establish a sense of being comfortable and truthful to one another.

Although I find myself enjoying time spent with my family and friends as well as traveling, I enjoy doing Zumba classes as well as swimming. I have been doing Zumba for four years now and this is my second year of swimming. I think doing weekly sports on a regular basis not only organizes your time but also physically allows you to be fit and active.

Something that I would also like to mention about what I care is how I am prideful of my cultural values. Without a doubt I find it crucial to be aware of ones traditional background. I think this is the case because history has always been a subject that interests me ever since I was young therefore I find it highly valuable to hold on to heritage because without a past, one has no future. With that being said, I am still very passionate about the latest trends and style in the fashion and beauty industry. Of course a celebrity that reflects both beauty and humanitarian work is definitely Angelina Jolie that is someone I will always look up to. I believe she reflects the perfect balance of being a ravishing style icon while playing a major role in the United Nations. Obviously building such a major role in this generation inspires a younger audience to fulfill their passions and goals. This leads to dreams and goals that I have for this year and in the future that I am motivated to achieve such as:

Academically in Grade 12…

1-    To be able to maintain my honor roll grades (High predicted IB grade)
2-    To be able to achieve a 6 in English class
3-    To be able to know exactly what I want and where (I am contemplating either Business Retail Management or Business Corporate Law specifically in London, UK)

By the end of university…

1-    To be able to graduate with a Masters Degree
2-    To be able to know where I will be working


By the end of my 30th year on earth…

1-    To be able to love what I do
2-    To be able to live happily with my own family
3-    To be able to work in the UAE with my own business


In my opinion English class will allow me to achieve my goals by the end of grade 12 because if I work hard in English by staying organized and motivated, I will not only achieve a 6 in Language and Literature but also it will help me boost up my high average IB points. This means that such rigorous and critical course will allow me to know exactly what I want to study by the end of grade 12 as It expands my sense of discovery and shapes my perspective of the world more effectively.

Not to forget that by doing so, English class will also develop my critical thinking skills that’ll be useful in important life decision like knowing where I will work as well as what in specifically.

I believe language has a vital role in my life because it a form of communication with one another and is one of the most basic parts of ones individuality. With out language, we would not be able to achieve the needs of developing our society since language is originally the constitute element of civilization. This is evident where language established a form of uncivilized state of humans to todays 21st century generation where people are able to fly planes and discover inventions for solutions to our problems today. I also think that it is important to study language because you will be able to easily convey your ideas with one another and develop easy social contact with one another. Although language allows you to exchange ideas in order to create a better society, I have somewhat felt excluded due to language barriers. Obviously this happens between one another especially in an International school where not every language is your mother tongue. However this also expands other forms of communication such as sign language as well as face value that play an important role when one another do not speak the same language. This also enable you to appreciate and further value upon the importance of language in ones society that we sometimes take for granted.


Overall I am extremely looking forward for English class this year as I believe that English is one of the most important subjects to learn and further advance in ones educational years. I hope that with motivation and hard work I will definitely be dedicated in achieving an overall of 6 in English.


I forgot to mention my love towards my endearing and enchanting cat called MUFFIN (Yes I am a cat lover too Mr. Micheal).


Best Regards,

Hala Ariqat

8 comments:

  1. Hala, I absolutely loved reading your first blogpost and getting to know you better through your interests and ambitions. To know that you prioritize your family, education and culture over other things speaks volumes about your incredible personality. One line that particularly stood out to me was– "without a past, one has no future". I completely agree with this statement as our past plays a significant role in shaping who we are today and what our future holds. I look forward to reading your blog posts through out the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your detailed feed back Shriya! I will take it into consideration and am looking forward for your blogposts as well.

      Delete
  2. Hala, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog as it was really insightful yet meaningful at the same time. I truly agree with your passion of travelling, and definitely relate to your statement that travelling "allows you to gain new perspectives, as you are able to experience and become open minded towards the varieties of cultures and beliefs around the globe.". As much as I love the city, I also appreciate nature. One question I'd like to ask is, do you consider Arabic or English your first language? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Fleur! I find it very supportive of you and am looking forward for your future blogposts. To answer your question, I consider Arabic my first language because it it my mother tongue however, I learnt both languages at the same time.

      Best regards,

      Delete
  3. This a great introductory post. I am confident that if you are able to engage with the content of this course in a meaningful way you can surely find great success. Your insights into language and culture show a good appreciation of some of the learning goals for this part of the course.

    This picture of your cat really captures the spirit of the word muffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Mr. Michael! I am happy to hear his picture expresses the spirit of the word muffin. Looking forward for this course.

      Best regards,

      Hala

      Delete
  4. Hala, I really enjoyed reading your blog post because it describes you as a person so much. Even though I already know you pretty well it is always good to see that you from all the people I know is so connected to your family and your cultural background. You value family, friends, fashion, style and food. You really have your priorities sorted out when it comes to your goals and it is if fascinating to see that you have your life more or less figured out while most people don't know what they want to do in their life. Regarding the language part, I completely agree with you when you said that "Without language, we would not be able to achieve the needs of developing our society" because language is the key to our world. Without communication one cannot express themselves.

    Well done child!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the detailed feedback Luiza! I am really looking forward for your future blogpost as I really enjoyed your Introductory.

      Delete