Sunday, September 18, 2016

A Good Name


Hala pronounced /Ha-la/. Simple isn't it? What if I tell you that my full name is something I cannot fully know. Culturally in Islam, your middle name comes from your fathers name.  With that being said, my name Hala Raied Ahmad Darwish Mohamed Ahmad Ariqat is merely the beginning of my name because each name is a generation older beginning with Raied whom is my father and continuing off with my great grandfathers fathers etc..

To justify,  I come from an extremely large family (approximately 3000 people) causing it to be quite challenging to find out everyones name in history that came from the family "Ariqat". Although there are many evidences and explanations of family trees, with what I am aware of-  Five generations is the farthest my name can go in history.

Not to mention that the meaning of ones name plays a vital role in the world. You will find many couples/families listing the names that they plan on naming there baby or even having it planned before the baby is even born. This is highly evident throughout history and still is a tradition in the Arab culture today. For example: I am named after my grandmother "Hala" and my youngest brother is name after my grandfather "Ahmad". I think this is the case because we believe that a name is the greatest representation of who you are therefore passing a name down not only is a symbol of respect towards the elderly but also a sign of good luck. This means the parents hope you will share similar characteristic traits with the person you were named after.

With that being said, the meaning of someones name is usually either metaphorically powerful meanings or reflect importance religiously. As of my name Hala and no not like the song "Aint no Holler Backgirl" or "We Dem Boyz", my name is both for a Muslim and Christian female name giving the meaning "Halo"or initially the halo that illuminates glory and bright light around the moon. Wow! Who knew such a short and simply name would have such a powerful meaning. Technically speaking, I think this makes me become a living metaphor.

When I asked my parents why they named me Hala, they explained to me how it was rare to find a name that would not only match my grand mothers name but is easy to pronounce yet holds great value. They also continued describing how when they first saw my face, it was as if "Your face radiated moonlight because of how blessed we were to have you and how fair you were as a baby." Deep I know. My fathers name on the other hand literally means BOSS. This reflects characteristics like being strong and in control. As for my family name, it originates to the meaning "Alorooq" that literally translates to someone/something that is original and precious. Historically speaking "Ariqat" originally came from a tribal group of Bedouins whom were called after what people thought was the most suitable name based on there identity.

Without a doubt, this brings me back to my point that is how names not only help shape ones identity but also represents your self specially your uniqueness that you establish in this world as well as the easiest expression of ones cultural and historical background. Not to forget that one develops their identity as they grow and experience variety of challenges and journeys throughout their life. However the most vivid and logical symbol of yourself that you represent is initially your name which is in my opinion like your trademark. As the author Siri Hustvedt once said: "There is not future without a past, because what is to be cannot be imagined except as a form of repetition".

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hala

    Wow you have so many names!!!!!!!
    It was cool to know what your name means and the origin it came from?
    A question I have is that do you know all your names traced back to the first generation of your family?
    Additionally I really liked what you said "As of my name Hala and no not like the song "Aint no Holler Backgirl" or "We Dem Boyz"" because when I hang out with you so many people make those name jokes and it is funny in a way.
    Hala you are a true moonlight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Luiza! To answer your question, it would take a lot of close and analytical research/study of my family tree in order to find out but I believe it would be quiet challenging to be completely accurate.

      Delete
  3. Hello Hala
    It was interesting to learn about the meaning of your name "Hala", which you stated to be "halo". Halo represents brightness & purity which i think best fits you (personality).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Keasha! Looking forward for your blogpost.

      Delete
  4. Hala, it's is absolutely incredible to know that you are named after your grandmother as "a symbol of respect towards the elderly but also as a sign of good luck.". Contrarily, in the Belgian culture it is very rare to be named after your grandparents or elderly. This would only happen when a 'four blood bond' is born (like in my case). I truly believe that your name is a very accurate representation of your personality; "brightness & purity". I look forward to your following blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Fleur! I will take into consideration your comments and I am looking forward for your future blog posts.

      Delete