Monday, September 11, 2017

Summer and its treasured memories

Completing grade 11 left me feeling not only astonished, but excited for what the future holds. As far as I remember, the last time I've visited my country Jordan with this much anticipation was probably when I was five... only because I was excited to celebrate my Eid holiday with my old friends. However, it was not the family reunions, sun glistening beaches and the mouth-watering meals that got me up at night this time. It was rather the ancient carved sandstone cliffs, Roman theatres and the old Museum’s found by the side of the Red port. As soon as I boarded the A380 plane, I began to realize how important it is to hold onto cultural values. Whether this is through visiting old museums, reminiscing childhood memories or even just re-educating yourself about the significance of certain landmarks. With the advantage of hindsight, I can admit that I had a bittersweet feeling towards going back, more of a sentiment of guilt. This was due to the notion of neglecting the essence of Jordan’s history since I never completely appreciated its antiquity. Although I knew I was going back, I still took this as an opportunity to reshape my historical and cultural knowledge, as I become a tourist in my own country (strangely).



The first site that I visited was by far one my favorites. It was located in the heart of downtown Amman, one of the busiest places to ever be in. I saw this as a chance to enjoy a musical show with friends whilst appreciating every corner of such a breathtaking theatre. The theatre was probably built around the 2nd century AD during the reign of Antoninus Pius (AD 138–61). This theatre comprises of three sections, known as the rulers, the military and of course the general public. But what caught my attention was the tiny shrine onto the seats that once housed a statue of the goddess. It almost reminded me of the architecture during the 1900’s; similar to when the novel Things Fall Apart by, Chinua Achebe was set in. All in all, I believe that I now acknowledge the feeling of relief and success, as Achebe once wrote: “A man who pays respect to the great paves the way for his own greatness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment